Phillips Energy Logo
Phillips Energy

From the Archives: Phillips Energy Over the Years

- 8:33 pm - January 2nd, 2017


The amazing archives at the Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal holds a treasure trove of history about our entire region, including some of Phillips Energy's key moments throughout our history! 

Since 1946, Phillips Energy has been meeting the complete energy needs of homes and businesses alike in the Tidewater region. The Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal has always been there, too, to celebrate our successes and document our history. Here's a peek back to some highlights of Phillips Energy, courtesy of the Gloucester-Mathews Gazette-Journal archives we dug through recently.

1. It was a very wet Fourth of July at the Gloucester Point Beach House in 1995 as beach goers huddled under the shelter. But did you know the Gloucester Point Beach House was where Phillips Energy first originated? It's true! It was our first location.

Phillips Energy History 1.jpeg 

2. The George P. Coleman Bridge connecting Gloucester to York County over the York River officially opened to vehicular traffic on Wednesday, May 7, 1952. Phillips Energy was proud to provide fuel to the construction vehicles working on the initial bridge build.

Phillips Energy History 2.jpeg

3. Did you know Phillips Energy is a third generation business? Elizabeth and John took over the family business from their father, who took it over from his father.

Phillips Energy History 3.jpeg

4. Flashback to December 1994 when Phillips Energy purchased Tidewater Oil Service. Pictured from left to right is Elizabeth McCormick, John, Linda and Frank Phillips.

Phillips Energy 4.jpeg

5. Phillips Energy expanded and added a division to distribute liquid petroleum gas more than two decades ago. Pictured is the crew standing behind one of the new tanks at our Gloucester Point location.

Phillips Energy History 5.jpeg

6. We've come a long way since this picture was taken in 1988! 

Phillips Energy History 6.jpeg

7. Remember when the George P. Coleman Bridge was widened from 1994-1996? Phillips Energy was proud to play a role by supplying fuel to the construction vehicles!

Phillips Energy 7.jpeg

 

 

logo_1.pnglogo_2.pnglogo_3.pnglogo_4.pnglogo_5.pnglogo_6.pnglogo_7.pnglogo_8.pnglogo_9.pnglogo_10.pnglogo_11.pnglogo_12.png